Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Live Like You Were Dying


You know that Tim McGraw song, "Live Like You Were Dying"? It's about the joy you can experience when you let go of all that has held you back before and you take a "now or never" approach to all those things you've wanted to do. I feel like that is what we are doing here. We know our time in Australia will come to an end and we've got to enjoy it NOW. No postponing. No wasting moments. We are taking every opportunity that we possibly can.




I heard about a place in Melbourne that offers a 2 hour trapeze workshop. I jumped at the chance to have Millie do it. But it turns out the other kids were also interested. I think our time here has made them all more willing to step outside their comfort zone and enjoy new things. It was the most amazing thing to see them doing it!

In my "previous life," I was always about getting the most for my money. I didn't like going out to eat because after spending $50-100 you come home with nothing to show for it except a stomach overly full of unhealthy food. I always cringed at the expense of movies or theme parks. If I was going to spend that much money, I'd rather use it to pay for music lessons, shoes a kid needs, paint for the living room, or heck, even put the money in the bank.

Now I am living at the complete opposite end of the spectrum. We are being very careful about collecting possessions here because we don't want to have a lot to take back on the plane. We haven't bought many clothes or shoes and certainly have no need for remodeling or new furniture. We want to make memories and experience all the unique opportunities we'll never have the chance to do once we leave.

It's taught me a few things. Yes, it's important to spend money responsibly. And it's important to keep some money in the bank (or else we would not have been able to come here!). But it's also important to set aside some money--and time--to make all those memories and DO things. Do things as a family, as a couple, or all by yourself.

Living like we were dying, but not actually DYING, has opened up new life for all of us.


No comments:

Post a Comment