Friday, January 6, 2023

Eureka Sky Deck, Lamingtons, and a nature walk

We had one more day in the city before flying off to Perth. It's been 2 1/2 weeks since I formally exercised, though we've done a ton of walking. There was a nature trail just next to the house we are staying so I decided to explore it. Good thing it was just a walk and not a run because I stopped too much to take photos. 

A Magpie greeted me. He walked right up to me as if it was a standoff. Then he pooped in my path and walked away. 

Magpies can be aggressive, especially to cyclists. You will see cyclists with zip ties poking out of their helmets like spikes to ward off magpie attacks. So I was glad the magpie walked away. They make a cool sound that sounds like a bird call that has been filtered through a synthesizer. 

I was taking a photo to show the bare gum tree at the top and the way the bark peels away at the bottom when a woman—who I heard cheerfully *singing* to herself and anyone around as she approached—stopped to ask what special animal I was looking at. She wanted to share the moment. I told her it was just the bark, she wished me Happy New Year, and kept on singing. I asked another passer what animal was making the sound from the water grasses. Frogs. And he told me about the baby birds. 

The smell of eucalyptus is so refreshing, but at one point I felt like it became different. I looked over and saw huge dill plants growing behind the fence. At the end of my walk, another magpie lead me home.


We decided to take Henry to the Eureka Skydeck. It's an 88 story building that *used to* be the tallest in Melbourne. It has a lookout deck at the top so you can see a 360 degree view of the city. 


Flinders Street Station from 88 stories up.

 

In the lobby below they have a virtual reality room that takes you on a tour of landmark sites around Victoria, all without leaving your chair. Henry thought it was really cool. 

I'd been wanting to go to Tokyo Lamington. Gotta have lamingtons in Australia, right? It was actually closed for a week when I tried to come before so I was glad to have another day to find it. It took 30 minutes by tram and walking to get there and Henry was not thrilled. And then when we finally arrived, it was a bit underwhelming. They were just regular lamingtons. But they came in a cute little box. 

  
     
 

We took the train in and out of the city. This was one of the stops:


We've been eating out a lot. Henry's doesn't want to explore fancy cuisines. He likes pizza, fish and chips, and pasta when we cook at home (wherever "home" is at the moment). My body is seriously rebelling from the onslaught of less-than-healthy food. So I was really happy to find a place that served legit, actual, food that isn't fried. It was a potato bar, SpudBar. Loaded with other actual food. All vegan. It tasted so good. 
 

Henry made a video showing his favorite parts of the Melbourne CBD:


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JG67Nqz4gc

I'm SO ready to settle into Perth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment