Friday, December 16, 2022

My Fish Hook for my journey

When I left Australia last time, a friend from New Zealand, Elaine Ahokava, gave me a fishhook necklace made from bone and shell. It holds significance to the islanders. You are not supposed to buy them for yourself. It’s supposed to be a gift. It offers protection and spiritual guidance on your travels and “journeys.” The shell piece fell off a few years ago and Nick Crockett (who also understands the significance of the hook) said he could fix it with bone cement for me. But then the pandemic happened and I never got around to taking it to him. In November I realized I need it before I travel again. So I asked him and he said he could do it but it had been so long he had forgotten what needed to be done. For some reason I felt like I should take it with me to Stake Conferfence in case I saw him. I did, but it was rare to see him because he’s in the bishopric of a YSA ward. He isn't usually in our building at all on Sundays. Two weeks passed and I’ve been worried he’d forget, and we are leaving soon. I didn’t want to bother him or remind him and make him feel pressed. So I was at the temple one day and was praying for a lot of things on my mind. Things I want for our family desperately, but know it will be a long time, if ever, that they will be granted. Another thing I asked Heavenly Father for was to remind Nick about the necklace. I explained that I didn’t want to make a big deal about a necklace and demand something of someone who is already busy and has no obligation to do this on my timeline. 

Nick showed up at my door that night just before dinner. I texted him later and told him about my prayer and thanked him for listening to God. He said, “It actually explains why I felt so strongly that it had to be done today and in your hands. Isn’t it wonderful how He is in the details of our life. It’s as though today He said, ‘yes Shelly, I see you.’ “ Yes. Because if he heard that prayer, I know he heard the other one. So now this hook means even more to me. It really is a reminder that God is my Guide along my journey.


No comments:

Post a Comment